Granada: the city
Granada is the capital city of the province of the same name, located in southeastern Spain between the shores of the Mediterranean and the Andalusian hinterland. The city is located at the foot of Sierra Nevada, the highest mountain range of the Iberian peninsula. With more than a thousand years of recorded history, Granada enjoys one of Spain’s most important cultural and architectural patrimonies. Besides the Alhambra, the world renowned palaces and fortresses of the Nasrid dynasty, and the historical Moorish Albaicín quarter, both designated as World Heritage by the UNESCO, Granada boasts a Renaissance cathedral dating from the 16th century and many other architectural monuments of the first magnitude.
Listed under the World Heritage Sites list of the UNSECO is indisputably the mos well-known monument of the city and one of the most visited in Spain. It has a defensive area, the Alcazaba, the Nasrid Places, nemd after the Dinasty of the Kingdom of Granada, and the Gardens of the Generalife.
Monastery of “La Cartuja”
Located in an open orchard land ceded by Gonzálo Fernández de Córdoba (The Great Captain) in order to build a monastery for the Cartusian order which was later partially demolished after the disentailment in the 19th Century. The stances (the refractory, De Profundis hall, Capitulars and Lays hall) have a Gothic structure and are organized around a little vaulted and peristyled cloister. Most notable is the refractory, decorated by Fr. Juan Sánchez Cotán, with large mannerist canvases and the magnificent trompe-l’oeil of the cross. The church, best piece of the Andalusian Baroque, has a single nave with a choir at its feet. Behind the tabernacle board we can find the sagrario, with an impressive horror vacui decoration of plasterworks and polychromated materials. Therefore, the architecture becomes blurred amidst a chaos of broken and curved lines. On the left, there is the sacristy with fantastic inlay and carved plasterworks in the same way as in the sagrario.
Situated right in the center of Granada having its entrance at Gran Vía de Colón, this temple is considered to be the first Renaissance church in Spain. The building was built by the Main Mosque and was begun in 1505, following the plans from the architect Enrique Egas, but they were soon changed to others in Renaissance style by Diego de Siloé.
The Cathedral, with five naves with transept ambulatory, was initially planed as a Gothic project. The works, continued by Diego de Siloé since 1563, made of this temple the most purist example of the Spanish Renaissance. Most notable is the Main Chapel, the most important place in the temple, not only because of its dimensions but also because of its Renaissance ideals consistency from the centralized plan, the wonderful dome and the main arch which was planed to be the Arch of Triomph of the monumental entrance to the Emperor Charles V’s tomb.
Federico García Lorca Park
Between the Arabial, Virgen Blanca and Camino de Purchil streets we find the park Federico García Lorca, with four entrance ways and 769,000 sq. ft. (71,500 m2). It surrounds the Huerta de San Vicente, the lands owned by poet García Lorca’s family.
The park has different paths, including two “avenues”: the poplar’s avenue, paralel to the river, it guides us to the pond, and the lime tree’s avenue, from the main entrance to the service’s area. There are different sectors which configure the rest of the park: neo-plasticist gardens, channels, cybernetic fountain, river fountain, rosal area and the orchards.
- Ayuntamiento de Granada